[FFmpeg-devel] _t POSIX namespace issues

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Dec 11 18:39:11 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 05:33:57PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 09:43:02AM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> > Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:
> >
> > > So names ending in _t are reserved by POSIX.  Nonetheless we have tons
> > > of them.  I thought about fixing these issues myself, but coming up with
> > > good new names is tedious, so I propose to have each maintainer address
> > > the problem in the files they maintain.  Here is a the result of a grep
> > > for problematic names with maintainers, in no particular order:
> >
> > > libpostproc/postprocess.h:typedef void pp_context_t;
> > > libpostproc/postprocess.h:typedef void pp_mode_t;
> >
> > Typedeffing things as void or void * is just silly.
>
> True, here is a patch that addresses this.  I fear this might need a
> major version bump, though...

it should be changed to code like AVMD5 in libavutil/md5.h
its a lot better to have named types than void* .
and the _t could just be dropped

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it. -- Voltaire