[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] libavfilter-soc and variable-frame-size video streams

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Sat Dec 13 01:54:26 CET 2008

> But maybe I'm just confused and there is a far simpler solution, or
> maybe we could just decide that supporting variable-frame-size video
> streams is not worth that hassle.

This sounds reasonable to me: thinking through what every filter would
have to do to support such a thing, it sounds completely
unmaintainable, especially for filters that act temporally: how will
they deal with the fact that cached temporal data from previous frames
(such as for temporal denoisers) is no longer the correct size
matching the current frame?!

Avisynth gets away just fine without variable frame size support: I
have actually never seen such a thing as a feature request either.  I
don't think libavfilter needs it either.

Dark Shikari