[FFmpeg-devel] donation for snow

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila
Sat Dec 13 16:29:20 CET 2008

On Thu 06 Nov 2008 21:18, Lars T?uber <lars.taeuber at gmx.net> writes:

> My hope was that not only two other people are that interested in seeing
> a snow 1.0 version and join with a donation.  I think to less people know
> about FFmpeg and their wide spread usage in the prgramms they use. So it
> isn't really surprising to me either. But the hope should never die..

I was one of those...

>> > The main reason for me to look for a new codec is my need for a
>> > future-proof codec. It's meant to be used as a standard to archive my
>> > private family videos made with different devices using different
>> > codecs stored in different containers. They all should transformed
>> > into a standard format.
>> > That means I want me and my grandchilds in the situation to decode
>> > these films in 30+ years.

Same reason -- I'd like to encode my self-filmed home videos to some good
format that can be freely viewed in (distant?) future.

As the situation is what it is, I'd like additionally ask what formats can
be freely used after 20 years from now have passed? And which of these
are best compression and decoding performance -wise.

(Maybe in 20 years decoding performace is not an issue, but currently I
have old xbox as a media center and it would be nice if the SD-resolution
(720x576) encoded videos play on that too).

> Lars

Tomi