[FFmpeg-devel] Testing VDPAU patch for h264 decoding

Jean-Michel Pouré jm
Sun Dec 14 19:31:08 CET 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 19:21 +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> Not to mention that I don't quite see how you mean the "trust" part,
> you already trust NVidia enough to run their code in kernel space but
> don't trust enough to run a patch to a userspace application by a
> developer that in contrast to the kernel module developers is even
> very much "publicly visible"?

I don't trust frames being sent to a video card. This is like closed
software to me. You don't understand what is goind on. Hardware decoding
can only be used in a viewing environment, not to decode quality and
reference steams.

Typicaly, Kdenlive is a good example where we need fast decoding for
viewing purpose, but where we would probably not accept to decode
hardware and then encode during final rendering.

As regards Nvidia, if they play the game and discuss publicly on
FFmpeg-devel, we will be willing to patch ffmpeg and test. Otherwize we
will stick to ffmpeg implementations. There are a lot of other solutions
to decode AVCHD, including multi-threading support.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel