[FFmpeg-devel] FFMPEG fails to convert .mov - "Cannot allocate temp picture"

fcassia fcassia
Wed Dec 24 08:56:52 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 4:53 PM, fcassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is the problem file (it was a .mp4 recorded with the Neuros OSD
> Linux based PVR, and then opened and edited with Quicktime Pro for
> Windows version 7.5.5, then saves as .mov).
>
> http://the13thfloor.org/4friends/tigani-mide2.mov
>
> No matter what I try or the target format I choose, it always fails
> with the same error:
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  libavcodec    52. 3. 0 / 52. 3. 0
>  libavformat   52.23. 1 / 52.23. 1
>  libavdevice   52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
>  libswscale     0. 6. 1 /  0. 6. 1
>  libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
>  built on Nov 13 2008 10:28:29, gcc: 4.2.4 (TDM-1 for MinGW)
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x177a110]edit list not starting at 0, a/v desync mig
> ht occur, patch welcome
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x177a110]edit list not starting at 0, a/v desync mig
> ht occur, patch welcome
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x177a110]stream 0, error opening file //tigani-mide.
> mov: Invalid argument
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x177a110]edit list not starting at 0, a/v desync mig
> ht occur, patch welcome
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x177a110]edit list not starting at 0, a/v desync mig
> ht occur, patch welcome
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x177a110]stream 1, error opening file //tigani-mide.
> mov: Invalid argument
> [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x177a110]Could not find codec parameters (Video: mpe
> g4)
> Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'tigani-mide2.mov':
>  Duration: 00:02:08.44, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 405 kb/s
>  Stream #0.0(eng): Audio: aac, 16000 Hz, stereo, s16
>  Stream #0.1(eng): Video: mpeg4, 1000.00 tb(r)
> picture size invalid (0x0)
>
> Cannot allocate temp picture, check pix fmt
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Thanks for any comments...
> FC

Okay, found the problem, and apparently it is Quicktime PRO for
Windows, used to qucik-edit (cut and paste) and save the original
file.

I struggled trying to find what was going on... and apparently it's like this:
Quicktime Pro (7.5.5. here) apparently saves the "view state" in the
.mov file. If you select View->Double Size and then SAVE the file, the
.mov headers are apparently modified so next time you re-open the
file, it shows in "view double size" mode.

I selected View-> Normal Size and saved the file again, and obtained a
file with a different size from the one mentioned above. This file
converts just fine with FFMPEG into any format I want.

Can someone with Quicktime Pro on Windows confirm this behaviour, if
only to be aware and warn FFMPEG users about using "problem" .mov
files as source?

I'd also like to know if there's any bug report page for QT Pro.
(I guess I get what I deserve for messing with proprietary software from Apple).

Thanks and best wishes for all...
FC