[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware decoding of 35Mb AVCHD streams

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg
Sat Dec 27 13:18:33 CET 2008

Hello,

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Jean-Michel Pour? <jm at poure.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> Just a quick note that I was able to read Canon EOS 5D MARK II raw
> footage in Kdenlive. This is a 35Mb AVCHD file.
>
> http://www.kdenlive.org/video-editor/canon-eos-5d-markii
>
> Sofware decoding works at 50% speed. So my question is: what are the
> direction towards multi-process decoding or hardware acceleration?

Multi-threaded decoding: there's please try this GIT tree:
http://gitorious.org/projects/ffmpeg/repos/ffmpeg-mt where Alexander
Strange works on that.
I'm sure he'd love some testing being done, as well as some more support.

Hardware acceleration: I think the dust will have to settle a bit
before this get integrated since some of the ways it's implemented by
the hardware vendors is a bit controversial here....

> I saw a patch a few days ago. Out of curiosity, when will we be able
> to decode using hardware acceleration?

Like for (almost) everything in OpenSource: when it's ready. :)

Guillaume
--
Only a very small fraction of our DNA does anything; the rest is all
comments and ifdefs.

Henny Youngman  - "If at first you don't succeed... so much for skydiving."