[FFmpeg-devel] Patch - Allow disabling of bit reservoir when encoding MP3 audio

Paul Kelly paul
Tue Feb 5 14:39:35 CET 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 08:47:11AM +0000, Paul Kelly wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>
>>> Splitting mp3 at frame boundaries should not cause artifacts. If it does
>>> submit a bugreport to whatever decoder you use. If its libavcodec, ill fix
>>> that if you provide such a file with artifacts at the start.

Just to confirm - I tried playing the file back with ffplay and artefacts
were not present there - very good :)

[...]
>> is irrelevant with constant
>> bitrate as a higher bitrate could simply be used if quality was important.
>
> If using higher bitrate is not a problem for you, why dont you use PCM or
> some lossless compression?

Sorry I wasn't clear - low bitrate/filesize *is* important for me, but I
also need to be able to split the audio stream cleanly between files.
Hence my suggestion that the ability to disable the bit reservoir through
the libavcodec API would be very useful.

Paul