[FFmpeg-devel] transcoding on nvidia tesla

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sun Feb 10 23:29:51 CET 2008

Hello,
On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 11:24:03PM +0100, christophelorenz wrote:
> Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
>
> > FLOPS are a useless measure. I can easily achieve TFLOPS if I allow
> >
> >Sure, GPUs are extremely powerful. For some things. But there are also
> >algorithms that will not even achieve the speed of a Pentium (non-MMX)
> >on a GPU. If just 1% of your code is of such a kind, that definitely
> >limits your speedup to 100x, even if you have the perfect
> >implementation.
> >

> I guess you would be much more interrested in the aspex accelera product ;-)
> http://www.aspex-semi.com/encoders/encoder_products/encoder_acc_3000.shtml
> 65536x 2 bit processors in a board. (yes you can add more ;-))
>
> They can now do Mpeg2, h264 and VC1 encoding in realtime HD.
>
> They have a sdk, but you require a training ($$$) to use it.

Sorry, but my desire for pain is fully fulfilled by working with this:
http://www.ra.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/index.php?page=projects&id=htx
Though at least yours is software-programmable which at least removes
the pain of having to wait almost one hour before you can test on real
hardware...

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger