[FFmpeg-devel] new open source h.264 source

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Feb 21 03:45:50 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 09:07:16PM -0500, Alexander Strange wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 5:15 PM, mark cox
> <melbournemark+ffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 9:04 AM, mark cox
> >  <melbournemark+ffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  > From phoronix web site http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjM0MQ
> >  >
> >  >  AMD Opens Up Their Performance Library
> >  >  Posted by Michael Larabel on February 20, 2008
> >  >

> >  ~/svn$ svn co https://framewave.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/framewave/trunk
> >  framewave
> >
> >  ~/svn/framewave/trunk/Framewave/domain/fwVideo/src$ ls -1
> >  AANIDCT.cpp
>
> This has an SSE2 IDCT (which looks like it was just transcribed from
> x86-64 asm, so no macros or useful variable names). If it works well
> with half the xmm registers, it might be nice.
>
> I don't think AAN is the best IDCT algorithm, though

Integer AAN is not accurate enough for video coding IIRC.
If it were floats that might be something interresting to try though.

> - maybe it would
> be better to port ppc/idct_altivec.c?
>
> >  fwVideo.cpp
> >  H264-CAVLC.cpp
> >  H264-Deblock.cpp
>
> I don't think this library is really useful without CABAC, but the
> SSE2 deblocking might be helpful. The rest probably isn't worth
> anything.

Speaking of deblocking, our filter_mb_fast() is buggy it butchers some of
the reference streams. Iam just mentioning that before someone wastes time
optimizing buggy code ... he should fix it first :)

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities
are wrong. -- Voltaire