[FFmpeg-devel] Suggestion: revert r12154

Måns Rullgård mans
Mon Feb 25 12:35:01 CET 2008

Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 06:26:51PM +0800, mvplayer wrote:
>> avutil.h is a public file which should not contain any gcc specification
>> definition!
> I assume you mean gcc-specific? If there is something gcc-specific that
> definitely is wrong, on the other hand if this is only Microsoft's
> compiler not even getting the basics of the C standard right you would
> have to find and suggest a clean solution yourself...

There is nothing gcc-specific in avutil.h, or any other installed header.

The macros under discussion are perfectly valid C.  The standard says
the expansion of a macro should be reparsed as source.  Apparently,
msvc does not do this correctly.

I have verified these macros to work with a variety of non-gcc compilers.
None of them had any problem at all expanding the macros.

I'm sorry, but you need a C compiler to use the FFmpeg headers.  They
won't work with Fortran, Pascal, Ada, or Java compilers, so why should
they be expected to work with msvc?

M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com