[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] drop support for using libav* compiled with mingw/cygwin in msvc

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Feb 25 15:17:35 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 03:09:12PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 03:08:03PM +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > The advantage has already been presented and agreed with by several
> > > people.
> >
> > I did not look at the details of the change, but I am wondering if there
> > is some way to have these advantages without breaking support for msvc...
>
> Yes, make configure extract "(12<<16) + (3<<8) + 4" convert it to "12.3.4"
> and add this to config.h

But after a second thought, this has a flaw as well, that is if people dont
run configure after svn up they would have mismatching versions which is
pretty bad :(

Anyway IMO the original code was fine as it was, theres no real need for
tricky hacks ...
If someone changes one of the versions and forgets the other (in the line below)
that is immedeatly spot on svn log as both lines are after each other.

The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend
to be. -- Socrates