[FFmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code 2008

Mike Melanson mike
Mon Feb 25 18:39:37 CET 2008

Andreas Setterlind wrote:
> I like to propose VA API (Video Acceleration API) implementation into FFmpeg
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Acceleration_API
> Maybe you could even ask the author, Jonathan Bian (from Intel) to mentor it?

Sounds like a long shot. Can you contact him or give me his contact
details privately?

> I would also like to suggest SSE4 SIMD optimizations as a valid
> qualification task:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE4

Can you enumerate specific tasks along these lines?

> If I may, I would in addition like to propose that all of the so
> called "Legacy Tasks" from the SoC 2006 and 2007 proposals that did
> not find a developer those years get reviewed individually again this
> year for possible proposal again. My thinking is that the more
> proposals you have the more likely you are to find an interested
> student.
> http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Summer_Of_Code_2007#Ideas_for_more_projects_to_be_determined

I'm doing that. But I am only manually adding tasks that I understand
and can properly explain on the Wiki. If I can't get a good feel for a
task by reading its description on the SoC Wiki page, what chance will a
prospective student contributor have?

> Then there is also the old FFmpeg wishlist
> http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Wishlist
> and a few unassigned TODOs from the TODO file in the SVN tree:
> http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk/doc/TODO?view=co
> and finally the open feature requests in the issue tracker:
> https://roundup.mplayerhq.hu/roundup/ffmpeg/issue?%40&%40columns=title&%40columns=topic&id=&%40columns=id&%40columns=activity&%40sort=activity&%40columns=priority&%40group=priority&type=2&status=2&%40columns=substatus&%40pagesize=50&%40startwith=0&%40action=search

Again, as long as you can explain a good qualification task in a few
coherent sentences and provide pointers to references, feel free to add
them (and if you don't have a Wiki account, email me).

--
	-Mike Melanson