[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] drop support for using libav* compiled with mingw/cygwin in msvc

Rich Felker dalias
Mon Feb 25 20:39:23 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 02:30:37PM -0500, Jeff Downs wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> [...]
> > Anyway, my vote is to revert it. Theres no advantage in this commit and
> > it breaks what was supported and also documented as such in the docs.
> I would rather see MSVC compatibility maintained as well.
> Would something like this accomplish the original intent?
> #define LIBAVUTIL_MAJOR 49
>                           LIBAVUTIL_MINOR ##.## \
>                           LIBAVUTIL_PATCH

May I ask WTF is the use of having a #define with value 49.6.0 or the
like? I assume it's for putting in strings but putting %d in the
format strings and deriving the value numerically at runtime would be
cleaner, albeit a little more work.. Or is there a reason this is
frowned upon?