[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] drop support for using libav* compiled with mingw/cygwin in msvc

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Feb 27 01:27:42 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:29:15PM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 01:59:45PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >> [...]
> >
> > Can we please have a bit more discussion before resorting to votes the
> > next time around?

Yes, sorry. This is the kind of thing that happens without a formal voting
procedure ...

Of course not, after all the vote said revert, you did not revert :)

>  I do not believe in democracy.
>

> To run a country, democracy is probably the best system devised thus
> far, although it is by no means perfect.  This is because populations
> at large have at most average intelligence, probably lower [1].

So far i agree with you ...

> In a
> group like FFmpeg, the average intelligence is high enough that the
> chances of reaching a consensus around a sensible decision are pretty
> good.

We did not really reach a consensus, my oppinion is still that the
original was best, and that the second best would be as it is
currently but without the AV_VERSION(_INT) macros requireing the
reader to search and open a second file.

Its not something i will fight over but its not a consensus.
If it were one, list the names of the people who do agree with it!

> In a group of intelligent people it is also much more difficult
> for a tyrant to gain foothold.

I can not say that i agree or disagree here, just that i have some
doubt. Also the word "intelligent" is a little vague, what is intelligence?
I think that the word "educated" fits better.

>  In other words, by resorting to
> democratic processes, an intelligent group is likely to make worse
> decisions than had time been allowed for proper discussion and
> consensus-forming.

I cannot follow your reasoning here ...

> Who wants to join me in founding the Kingdom of FFmpeg?

We all do, but we lack land and the ability to defend it. without these
2 the local police would end our rule quite quickly. ;)

Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony.
-- Heraclitus