[FFmpeg-devel] Hauppauge HD-PVR Samples/Transport Support

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara
Thu Feb 28 20:38:00 CET 2008

Hi Folks,

I recently had a chance to take a look at a TS produced by the new
Hauppauge HD PVR (HD Component Capture device with h.264/AAC Hardware
Encoding).  A little birdie also told me that several of them had been
uploaded to the incoming samples repository at mplayerhq.hu.  To get a
bit more visibility, one of the samples is also at:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4JN6XWCD

It's a 9 Mbit CBR TS of h.264 video and AAC audio.  Ffmpeg is able to
inspect the container, but not able to do anything useful with it so
far.  I've managed to dump a few of the first frames with mplayer and
they look amazing.  Based on the little info I've received, these
files should be a slightly-nonstandard Mpeg-2 TS container that
ffmpeg/libavcodec are currently unable to interpret.   I wonder if
anyone has/will have an opportunity to look at these files?  I know
that libavcodec-using projects like MythTV are hotly anticipating the
release of the product in the next few months and I thought I'd kick
off the discussion of supporting this slightly different transport.
Any thoughts?

Robert