[FFmpeg-devel] Transcoding .flv to .mov for use with iphone.

Kevin Burton burton
Tue Jan 1 22:49:16 CET 2008

Hey guys.

I'm trying to setup a meta podcast about designing scalable systems.

http://scalecast.wordpress.com/

A lot of videos have been uploaded to Youtube in .flv which I want to
transcode to support the iphone and ipod.

The problem I'm currently banging my head over is that the iphone doesn't
support mp3 audio for video files.

See their documentation below.

Anyway. I can use ffmpeg to transcode the .flv to an mpeg4 with mp3 audio
but when I transfer it to my iphone it won't play.

I need to get it to store the audio in AAC format.

Any hints here? The documentation isn't clear about what I need to install
to get AAC support working.

    Video formats supported:

    H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second,
    Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio
up to 160
    Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

    H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per second,
Baseline
    Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo
audio in
    .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

    MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second,
Simple
--
Founder/CEO Tailrank.com
Location: San Francisco, CA