[FFmpeg-devel] netiquette

madshi dear
Fri Jan 4 18:38:09 CET 2008

Diego Biurrun schrieb:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 02:04:27PM +0100, madshi wrote:
>
>> Diego Biurrun schrieb:
>>
>>> Stop wasting our time please, Google can answer your questions just fine
>>> (first hit will do).  Also, our mailing list page should already have
>>> explained all of this, but you chose to ignore it.  Come back when you
>>> have a clue about email etiquette, thanks a bundle.
>>>
>> Thank you for the kind words. You really have a gift for motivating people.
>>

> I can understand your frustration, now please understand mine.  I
> spelled the rules out quite clearly on the mailing lists page.  What do
> you suggest I do so that they do not get ignored?

Diego, I can understand that you're frustrated with people ignoring the
mailing list's rules. I really do understand that. There are often
people posting in my own forums ignoring all the rules I set. So I
really do feel your pain.

But what I don't understand is how you're weighing my actions. Yes, I
did violate some mailing list rules because I didn't read the full
instructions. That was wrong and I have already apologized for that (and
changed my posting style). But on the positive side I have also come
with a fully tested and working bugfix for "your" code. I think you're a
developer yourself, aren't you? So you surely know that debugging other
people's code is no fun. Furthermore I'm a Delphi developer by heart and
doing C++ stuff is really painful for me. Now instead of posting a
"thanks" for me spending hours on debugging bugs in "your" code you were
welcoming me with a "go away" attitude just because I dared to post a
bugfix before studying the mailing list's rules from A to Z. Reading
your posts it seems to me that the mailing list formatting rules are
more important to you than getting bugs fixed in ffmpeg. I don't think
that's the right approach.

Anyway, no harm done (on my side, at least).

P.S: Of course I was and still am not expecting any "thank you"s. After
all you're all doing work for the public without getting much reward
back yourself.