[FFmpeg-devel] switching to git - eventually?

Måns Rullgård mans
Sun Jan 6 13:40:21 CET 2008

Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> writes:

> I noticed somebody made a split repo for libswscale and right now git
> supports subprojects (even if I'd rather stitch together the libswscale
> inside ffmpeg in a more definite way).
> What is preventing us to switch to git as main repo?

A few different things:

- First of all, we must agree to the switch.  So far, it's mainly you
  and Reimar (?) who are pushing for it.

- We must be reasonably confident developers know how to use git, or
  there will be trouble.

- The repos need to be converted and verified.  Because of the
  libswscale mess, this is less trivial than it might seem.

- The server needs to be configured to allow git write access in a
  secure fashion.  With the frequency of breakin attempts, giving all
  devs normal shell accounts is undesirable, so something else must be

M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com