[FFmpeg-devel] MPEG-PS demuxer index memory usage

Paul Kelly paul
Mon Jan 7 12:06:49 CET 2008

Hello

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Just a note to remember that mov demuxer is building index containing
> all samples, and absolutely need all index entries to seek and demux, so
> you cannot remove any index entry with the current implementation.

Just to be clear, are you saying only that an index containing every
sample is needed in order for seeking to work, or that the full index is
absolutely needed for demuxing to work at all?

The main idea of the proposed change is that where the index is only
needed for seeking, and a user does not need the seeking functionality,
he/she should be able to disable the index to save memory. The idea of
"thinning out" the index once the limit is reached isn't so important to
me personally: it's just a cleaner way to "degrade gracefully" rather than
refusing to add any more index entries once the limit is reached.

Paul