[FFmpeg-devel] Question on libbrokenos support

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Jan 8 19:18:10 CET 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 12:56:51PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 06:44:16PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 05:12:36PM +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
> > [...]
> > > In this way, I prevent the inclusion of the header provided by the OS, no?
> > > In the example above, I need to include the sys/socket.h from the OS for
> > > having some definitions, and to provide some other definitions in
> > > libbrokenos's header. Or are you saying that the configure can merge the
> > > two headers, and libbrokenos can force the inclusion of this "merged header"?
> > > That could be a solution; I'll think about it...
> >
> > What ronald meant i think is:
> > /usr/local/include/sys/original_socket.h which is a
> > symlink to /usr/include/sys/socket.h
> >
> > then you can just #include <sys/original_socket.h> to include the system header
>
> Locating and making a symlink to the original header is both a lot
> more difficult and a lot more nonportable than using #include_next.
> As everyone knows I detest gccisms but I detest hacks like this just
> as much..

Making libos dependant on gcc is a very big problem, i dont think ill agree
to it.

Locating a header with the gnu toolchain (your solution needs it to be used
for all applications using libos, mine just needs it during libos install)
is easy:

just parse the output from
echo '#include <sys/socket.h>' | cpp -M
or look at the directories from
cpp -v
or even take the first sys/socket.h from
echo '#include <sys/socket.h>' | cpp

And if you dont know how to make a symlink, make a copy.
libos has to be reinstalled anyway if headers change ...

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws. -- Plato