[FFmpeg-devel] Behaviour of liba52 decoder

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jan 10 21:21:14 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 06:54:13PM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:

> >> Good question. I'd be happy to see it removed.
> >
> > if ours is faster sure remove liba52 support ...
>
> Is speed the only deciding factor here?  I suppose I could benchmark
> decoding a DVD or two.

The question is probably if we have volunteers to do more complete testing
that is
* .o size
* memory requirement
* as already mentioned speed
* quality (are there specific tests mandated by the ac3 spec?)
* feature completeness (i assume we are better especially with EAC3 around
  the corner and liba52 being not very actively developed lately AFAIK)
* error concealment (being mandatory for EAC3 we should be as good or better
  here as well eventually)

Anyway speed tests alone would already be very interresting
C and SSE of course for both

Observe your enemies, for they first find out your faults. -- Antisthenes