[FFmpeg-devel] Support for generating avm2 compatible swf files

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Tue Jan 15 11:58:32 CET 2008

On date Tuesday 2008-01-15 11:04:59 +0100, Baptiste Coudurier encoded:
> Hi
>
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:20:39AM -0800, Paul Egan wrote:
> >> When working with Flash 9/Flex the AVM2 runtime sandboxes
> >> any swf files of older versions.
> >
> > ?
> >

> >> This means you can't
> >> currently control the timeline of any swfs generated by
> >> ffmpeg.   Attached is a little patch to extend the ffmpeg
> >> swf support with a new file format, "avm2", which can be
> >> loaded into a Flash 9/Flex application.
> >
> > adding a new dummy format for every little changed parameter is not acceptable
>
> I tend to agree here, though we got some dummy formats like 3g2, and Im
> thinking about a "flavour"/"brand"/"version" (people please say
> whichever you prefer or suggest a better one) field to AVFormatContext,
> which could be used for swf and or mp4/3gp (ftyp).
>
> What do you think about that ?
[...]

Also I would like something similiar for every AV stream format
for which is supported encoding or decoding, to be displayed for
example with ffmpeg -formats, showing a more verbose description of
it, similiar to the long_name field of AV{Input,Output}Format.

For example:
flv -> Flash Video Codec
wmv1 -> Windows Media Video Codec version X
H264 -> H264 aka Advanced Video Codec aka AVC aka JVC aka Mpeg4 part 10

Also libavformat solution is not ideal since it requires to define
such field for both muxer and demuxer, and is prone to
inconsistencies.

A better idea would be to create a new structure for every
AV stream format identified by an id, containing this description,
referenced by both encoder(s) and decoder(s).

What do you guys think about it?
--
Stefano Sabatini
Linux user number 337176 (see http://counter.li.org)