[FFmpeg-devel] New 'libav-users' mailing list

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jan 17 15:22:18 CET 2008

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:12:41PM -0700, Kyle Mallory wrote:
> Michael N. suggested that I post to this board, requesting a new mailing
> list for the users (ie, developers using) the ffmpeg libraries.
>
> As an application developer using the libav* libraries, I have little or
> no interest in the command line usage of ffmpeg or its related
> utilities.  Posting support requests to ffmpeg-devel is often met with a
> recommendation to post to ffmpeg-user.  When posted to ffmpeg-user,
> amongst the plethora of requests about command-line usage, and compiling
> for various platforms, our posts are often overlooked by a dozen or two
> other posts.  When searching the archives, finding relevant information
> becomes increasingly difficult.   Us libav* users are the lonely bastard
> children, with no real place to call home...
>
> So, I'm asking the question to you all, the ffmpeg maintainers: Could we
> please have a new mailing list created, dedicated to people like me, who
> love what ffmpeg offers, but aren't really interested in using it as a
> command-line tool?  Pretty please?

After the overwhelming support from people in favor of such a list ...

root please create libav-user, i volunteer as ml-admin.
and i suspect baptiste might as well?

If because of whatever reasons root feels unable or unwilling to create this
list, please inform me ASAP!

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf