[FFmpeg-devel] suggestion for expanding audio bitdepth support in libav/ffmpeg

Andreas Öman andreas
Mon Jan 21 11:26:45 CET 2008

Ian Caulfield wrote:
> I think the idea was that the codec interface would be changed and a
> new function would be added (avcodec_decode_audio3?) to use the new
> interface, while avcodec_decode_audio2 would wrap the changes to
> maintain the current API...

Yes, but the real bugger is ff_float_to_int16_c() which, as of today,
is embedded in the decoders (and thus, the decoders may prescale
their coefficients to speed up the conversion). This needs some thought
as well. Personally, i would think it would be cleanest (API-wise) if
the SAMPLE_FMT_FLT would be data in the range of -1 to +1. I'm gonna
make some speed tests on this to check the effect of doing such a
change.