[FFmpeg-devel] Filtering clueless-user spam from the lists

Måns Rullgård mans
Wed Jan 23 21:06:19 CET 2008

Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:36:37PM +0100, Balatoni Denes wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Wednesday 23 January 2008 02:07-kor Rich Felker ezt ?rta:

>> > Will these work?
>>
>> I think this is not enough. The only solution is an FFmpeg SWAT
>> team, that constatntly monitors the lists, finds any offenders, and
>> physically eliminates them. There really is no other solution to a
>> problem of such proprortions (remember, we are talking about AT
>> LEAST 1 occurence every week here).
>>
>> I think this can be financed from the donations to ffmpeg.
>
> As humorous as this idea is, broken threading and thread hijacking are
> 100% detectable algorithmically. We can leave the SWAT team the
> tougher tasks that actually require human intervention. :)

While automated detection without false negatives seems easy enough,
avoiding false positives is decidedly more difficult.  As has been
shown, there are legitimate cases that would have been flagged by your
procmail rules.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com