[FFmpeg-devel] regression - mpeg2 interlace/topfield flags not set anymore

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Mon Jan 28 15:01:37 CET 2008

Hello,
On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 02:25:50PM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> > Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> [snip]
>
> >> Are we 100% sure strtod *should* accept 0x1234? On linux debian etch the
> >>   man page for strtod says this:
> >>
> >>         "A  hexadecimal  number consists of a ``0x'' or ``0X'' followed
> >> by a nonempty sequence of hexadecimal digits possibly con-
> >>         taining a radix character, optionally followed by a binary
> >> exponent. A binary exponent consists of a ``P'' or ``p'', fol-
> >>         lowed by an optional plus or minus sign, followed by a non-empty
> >> sequence of decimal digits, and indicates multiplication
> >>         by a power of 2.  At least one of radix character and binary
> >> exponent must be present."
> >>
> >> Seems to me 0x1234 is *not* legal since it contains neither radix nor
> >> binary exponent...
> >>
> >> Of course, man pages are not always the best source for standards!
> >
> > The spec says this:
> >
> >   The expected form of the subject sequence is an optional plus or minus
> >   sign, then one of the following:
> >   [...]
> >   - A 0x or 0X, then a non-empty sequence of hexadecimal digits optionally
> >     containing a radix character, then an optional binary exponent part
> >
> > Clearly, they are both optional.
> >
> > See also http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/strtod.html,
> > in particular the example at the end of the page.
>
> Meaning the man page is again wrong (or at the very least, very badly
> written). Annoying but hardly surprising.

That is exaggerating things, it is a bit confusing though.
The thing to realize is that the last two sentences belong together and
describe how an exponent must look like - and do not change that the
exponent itself is optional.
But I'm sure they will not mind a patch improving it ;-)