[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] replace some static with asm_visibility or so

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jan 28 15:52:41 CET 2008

Hi

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 09:22:42AM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
[...]
> >> If you feel that getting along with other people is too much of a
> >> burden for you, I will not, and cannot, stop you forking FFmpeg.
> >
> > I have no problem at all getting along with people, i do not even have
> > a problem getting along with you as developer. I have a serious problem
> > getting along with root at mphq and their decissions not matching democratic
> > majority, general consensus nor the maintainers oppinion sometimes.
>
> Remember, your opinion constitutes neither democratic majority, nor
> general consensus.

neither does yours, which is why iam complaining

If you seriously wanted a democratically ruled root there would have to
be some simple verifyable voting procudeure.
As you arent suggesting that, i assume you want power outside what a
democratic vote or the maintainer wants but hidden behind a "there
was consensus on IRC" as if everyone would be on IRC at all times.

> > Then again i must thank you for finally fixing SSL for the mailman
> > admin interface. Diego just told me it was you who did the work.
> >
> >> Just
> >> do not expect many to follow you.  That said, I sincerely hope that it
> >> will not come to this.
> >
> > Who except me reviews patches? If a fork did happen, the other side
> > would need someone to review patches or it would slowly turn into a
> > mess. Now if there were someone for that job, hey why isnt he doing it
> > already? It really would be a positive thing if more people would
> > review patches.
> >

> >> As for my powers as admin of mphq, I feel it is my responsibility not
> >> to take orders from any one person.  Not from you or from anyone else.
> >> To add or remove svn write access for someone, there should be a
> >> general agreement.  You having a quarrel with someone is not
> >> sufficient.
> >
> > The thing is, i wouldnt ask you to remove someones svn access due to a
> > quarrel, i never did and never will. You must be dreaming if you think
> > otherwise.
>
> Are you forgetting the Uoti debacle about a year ago?

no, uoti violated the mplayer policy, threatened with commit wars, and
ignored an unanimous request from the developers to revert a change.
Also there was a vote and a clear majority to close his account if he
did not within a time limit, he didnt. Root choose to ignore this.

I preempted something similar from happening by asking root to close uotis
ffmpeg svn account, which root did.

It was not due to a quarrel between me and uoti.

> > And to give svn write access, well i think iam more qualified to make this
> > decission than for example you, diego, or even some democratic majority. The
> > reason is that i review the patches and thus know about the quality of the
> > code submitted and the authors ability to deal with the issues brought up
> > in the reviews.
>
> Patches are submitted to the public mailing list.  Anyone can judge
> their quality.

Yes, but mere ability to is not enough, people would actually have to
review the patches before voting.

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in
ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners. -- Vladimir Lenin