[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] replace some static with asm_visibility or so

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jan 28 17:45:00 CET 2008

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 03:22:53PM +0000, Robert Swain wrote:
> On 28/01/2008, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:15:56AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> [...]
>
> > If noone speaks up on the mailinglist i decide the way i think its best.
> > Thats still majority though (everyone else abstains)
> > If people dont speak up here, they shouldnt complain later.
>
> Unfortunately, if people don't feel this is an environment in which
> they can voice their opinions then they will tend to abstain which
> makes it unfair to consider the mailing lists the only viable place
> for discussion/voting. Of course, not everyone is on IRC so that
> cannot be considered such either and it would be unfair too for those
> who aren't on IRC.

Yes, and even worse, some people might feel IRC isnt an environment in
which they can voice their opinions either.

In the end it boils down to
either
A. go to the vote / voice your oppinion
B. accept that you didnt and dont point at others if you dont like the
   result

iam practically never on IRC, so people voicing their oppinion there should
know i wont be aware of it ...

> If the atmosphere of the lists is improved such that people feel more
> comfortable expressing their opinions on matters here then this won't
> be a problem and it makes sense to do this as we are all on these
> lists and then abstaining from discussion on the list could be
> considered acceptable.

Is the "atmosphere" on IRC really better? Last time i were there i remember
rich and others kicking people off the channel for little if anything.
last being years ago and maybe not even exactly the last time but i
remember it wasnt exactly rare and the tone on IRC was not better at all
than on the list

> > > That is not true, you are a bully.
> > >
> > > For example, you have been bullying me at every opportunity ever since I
> > > dared stand up to you because of your refusal to improve your spelling.
> > > Afterwards it seemed like you were trying your very best to make sure I
> > > regretted standing up to you.
> >
> > hmm, if you see it that way, i must say i did not conciously intend to bully
> > you or anyone else. But i must say that you and mans did not skip an
> > oppertunity to bully me about the spelling.
>
> For what it's worth, I think this is a partially fair point as you
> were considerably pressured into improving your English. You don't
> seem to have kept the improvement going but that's beside the point.
> At times you were stubborn and deliberately evasive of making an
> improvement and even seemed to make extra work for Diego making
> corrections.

I never intentionally created extra spellcorrecting work for diego.

Also one thing ive not mentioned yet i think, is that my notebook keyboard
is a little flanky and looses keypresses sometimes. I remember a few month
ago i had to take it apart and clean it before i was able to enter my
password and make my computer stop beeping oddly :)

> As mentioned during the discussion, you wouldn't accept below-par code
> to be committed to trunk and yet you readily committed poor (and
> possibly incomprehensible) English which is quite a double standard.
> Whilst I would be happier with you spending time on coding because it
> is clearly your strength, maybe it would be more consistent for you to
> submit patches for documentation for review by the maintainers or
> people who are strong at English. This would seem fair to me.

I can but diego said in the past to commit instead of sending patches.
So if diego wants patches for the docs thats fine with me.

[...]
> We're adults,
> not children, we don't need to bitch back and forth to resolve
> something.

Well, why does this somehow not match my memory of the behavior of some
people here ...

> This doesn't mean that apologising is an infinite get out of jail free
> card. If consistent aggressiveness or rudeness is observed then
> apologies will lose credibility and then there will be grounds to
> complain.
>
> The point of all this discussion (for me) isn't to point a finger at
> you, Michael, and put this on your shoulders but to get everyone to
> think more about what they're writing, the affects it has on other
> people and the project, and change their behaviour for the better.

Also one thing you missed is that most are not native english speakers
and what may be considered rude by a native might not so obviously be
rude to a non native.

There will always be a question for which you do not know the correct awnser.