[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] replace some static with asm_visibility or so

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Jan 29 01:16:44 CET 2008

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 05:23:20PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 04:15:29PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 03:18:36PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:15:56AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > > > That is not true, you are a bully.
> > > > 
> > > > For example, you have been bullying me at every opportunity ever since I
> > > > dared stand up to you because of your refusal to improve your spelling.
> > > > Afterwards it seemed like you were trying your very best to make sure I
> > > > regretted standing up to you.
> > > 
> > > hmm, if you see it that way, i must say i did not conciously intend to bully
> > > you or anyone else. But i must say that you and mans did not skip an
> > > oppertunity to bully me about the spelling.
> > 
> > Since I took part in this as well _I_ think if this was your impression
> > you misunderstood both our intentions and motivations.
> It was my impression ...

Nobody intended to bully you just like you say you did not intend to
bully anyone.  It seems that everybody's motives and sensibilities are

My intention was to speak my mind on an issue that was causing me
frustration because you seemed to deliberately and repeatedly ignore it.

> > IMO the reason why this has kept up so long is that you seemed really
> > convinced that spelling and grammar do not matter, and that is not true.
> I thought and think that starting sentences with upper case letters and
> writting upper case I does not matter. That is a reader used to a always
> lower case text reading a lower case text is not slower or worse at
> understanding it than one who is used to proper english, reading proper
> english IMHO.
> What i have underestimated were the problems people had with it, who
> were used to reading "mixed case english".

You are underestimating the problems that people who are not good at
English have.  This is the main point.  Correct English helps these
people because it's harder for them to see what was meant behind the
broken wording/spelling/grammar.  Weird contractions like "iam" are
also hard for them to recognize as what they are.

> btw IIRC, most people have little problem reading text with the letters of
> words randomly shuffled within words as long as the first and last of each
> word are ok.

I'm not convinced that this applies to non-native readers and/or people
with a low skill level.

> > > also i feel people should send me a mail and complain if they think i treat
> > > them unfairly. I dont remember anyone ever complained to me until now ...
> > 
> > That is a bit of a problem, via email it is very hard to recognize the
> > motives behind what people do, so it is hard to know when a private
> > discussion is helpful, and many avoid it if in doubt.
> > I now think that you may have completely missed it, but e.g. when you
> > made that joke about the "official" Snow spelling Diego was already
> > quite sick of that kind of thing and took it (at least somewhat) as an
> > attack.
> > Did you notice that in his reply? 
> Not that i rememeber.

Nevertheless the sentiment was there.


More information about the ffmpeg-devel mailing list