[FFmpeg-devel] How to handle compiler warnings

Måns Rullgård mans
Tue Jan 29 12:49:41 CET 2008

Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 11:45:15AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>> The topic has come up again, it's time to discuss the subject.  I
>> propose to try to avoid compiler warnings as much as possible in order
>>
>> - have cleaner code,
>> - have important warnings not be drowned out,
>> - make FFmpeg a programming textbook.
>>
>> This does not include warning fixes that slow things down or obfuscate
>> the code, but if in doubt I personally would err on the side of fixing
>> the warning.
>
> I am against hasty actions to fix things though, and disabling a
> particular warning should also be considered an option (I think we
> already disable some? And at least ICC is extremely noisy with some
> really irrelevant warnings IMO - assuming we even care about warnings of
> non-gcc).

Yes, fixing warnings should be done with care.  For instance, only rarely
is a pointer cast the appropriate fix for an "argument 4 passed from
incompatible pointer type" warning.

We do disable some of the more annoying warnings, such as the one about
different sign of (otherwise compatible) pointer target types.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com