[FFmpeg-devel] How to handle compiler warnings

Måns Rullgård mans
Tue Jan 29 12:49:41 CET 2008

Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 11:45:15AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>> The topic has come up again, it's time to discuss the subject.  I
>> propose to try to avoid compiler warnings as much as possible in order
>> - have cleaner code,
>> - have important warnings not be drowned out,
>> - make FFmpeg a programming textbook.
>> This does not include warning fixes that slow things down or obfuscate
>> the code, but if in doubt I personally would err on the side of fixing
>> the warning.
> I am against hasty actions to fix things though, and disabling a
> particular warning should also be considered an option (I think we
> already disable some? And at least ICC is extremely noisy with some
> really irrelevant warnings IMO - assuming we even care about warnings of
> non-gcc).

Yes, fixing warnings should be done with care.  For instance, only rarely
is a pointer cast the appropriate fix for an "argument 4 passed from
incompatible pointer type" warning.

We do disable some of the more annoying warnings, such as the one about
different sign of (otherwise compatible) pointer target types.

M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com