[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Runtime-inited versus Hardcoded tables.

Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac
Tue Jan 29 19:09:39 CET 2008

2008/1/12, Diego 'Flameeyes' Petten? <flameeyes at gmail.com>:
> Roman Shaposhnik <rvs at sun.com> writes:
>
> >   Sorry for coming into this discussion a bit late, but are we talking
> > about getting rid of all the static tables? DV codec uses quite a few
> > of those -- that's why I'm interested.
>
> Actually I was proposing the opposite: have an opt-in way to remove the
> runtime-initialised tables and replace them with buildtime-generated
> static constant tables.

There used to be allocation for static tables at runtime on the heap -
I'm not sure why they have disappeared, but I think increasing the
library size for a megabyte is IMHO bad idea - at runtime the user
will hardly use few codecs  at same time and the price of binary
distribution of such monster hardly compressible binary tables vie net
will ever hardly justify few ms you spend via runtime initialization.

All I would like to see is moving static tables to static pointer
which would be initialized at the codec's first initialization and
released when library is being freed. This is actually far more space
saving than your proposal :)

Zdenek