[FFmpeg-devel] How to handle compiler warnings

Roberto Togni rxt
Wed Jan 30 00:32:57 CET 2008

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:45:15 +0100
Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:

> The topic has come up again, it's time to discuss the subject.  I
> propose to try to avoid compiler warnings as much as possible in order
>
> - have cleaner code,
> - have important warnings not be drowned out,
> - make FFmpeg a programming textbook.
>
> This does not include warning fixes that slow things down or obfuscate
> the code, but if in doubt I personally would err on the side of fixing
> the warning.

Ok for me as long as:
- if there are useless warning, they are disabled instead of fixed
- unclear cases are discussed first so that silencing a warning does
not create a bug
- we clearly decide which warnings must be fixed, since a warning-less
compilation is a moving target (compiler and platform dependant)

Ciao,
 Roberto

--
Better is the enemy of good enough.