[FFmpeg-devel] C99 or GCC extensions

Axel Holzinger aholzinger
Fri Jul 4 21:04:11 CEST 2008

Hi there,

I post this question to ffmpeg-devel on purpose, because I think this
has nothing to do with using FFmpeg (neither FFmpeg as an application
nor libav).

As a fairly longtime reader of ffmpeg-devel I'm convinced that FFmpeg
is based on C99 rather than GCC.

To my surprise I did find GCC specifics in the FFmpeg source code.

For example I found:
Variadic macros in GCC extension style
statement blocks inside expressions

My question is: Did the FFmpeg developers give up C99 compatibility in
favour of GCC extensions (or did I only find remnants of pre C99
code)?

If not, what is the current policy on this and are patches welcome to
remove GCC specifics in favour of C99?

Cheers
Axel