[FFmpeg-devel] Codec detailed info (continuation)

Andreas Öman andreas
Fri Jul 11 12:28:13 CEST 2008

Hi

I've manage to delete all my old mails, so i'm unable to reply
to the original thread [1].

Here is an updated version which also extends av_find_stream_info()
with a new flag to force the function to open all codecs and get
the info. Obivously, this is API breaking. (version bump not
included in patch)

Two other options would be:
a) Rename av_find_stream_info() => av_find_stream_info_ext() and
    keep the old function around which just invokes the _ext() one
    with a 0 flag argument, but IIRC Michael is a bit opposed to such
    solutions.

b) Implement another new av_find_stream_info_detailed() which just
    does the getinfo() job. I haven't given this much thought, but I
    suspect it will sometimes do redundant work that
    av_find_stream_info() might just have performed (in case
    av_find_stream_info() also opened the codecs for other reasons).

For the ffmpeg tool I've added a new option '-dci' (Detailed codec info)
which invokes av_find_stream_info() with the new flag.

I've also tried to suggest a simple syntax for the detailed output.
(See doxy for avcodec.h:avcodec_getinfo() )
This should aid machine parsing of the information.
Ie, could be used to fix:
https://roundup.mplayerhq.hu/roundup/ffmpeg/issue514

[1]
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2008-March/043098.html