[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] H.264 filter_mb_fast()

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jul 21 02:09:41 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:10:59AM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > The current filter_mb_fast() in our decoder is buggy, it is a optimized
> > special case of filter_mb() which had known and documented bugs.
> >
> > Iam planing to remove filter_mb_fast() and all code that becomes unused
> > through that.
> > I already considered that yesterday but then decided to fix the bug
> > i found yesterday in it. Now as more issues turn up i dont think its
> > worth the effort. filter_mb() itself is in need of cleanup and there are
> > many obvious optimizations that can be done in it.
> >
> > The question this boils down to is:
> > Is there someone who is willing to cleanup filter_mb_fast() and fix the
> > bugs in it [this needs some x86 asm knowledge] ?
> > If not then i will remove it in the next days.
>
> If it is fixed, what speedup does it provide in an average case?

feel free to benchmark it

the whole h264.c has turned into a mess since ive originally written it :(
everyone seems to have hacked it to make it halfway decode some file at hand.

anyway, it might be better to leave filter_mb_fast() alone ATM, its well
possible that my next bugfix would require the fixes in filter_mb_fast() to
be redone again ...

The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living from the
dead. -- Aristotle