[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] additinal desc_type for dtshd mpeg-ts demuxer

Måns Rullgård mans
Mon Jun 9 15:09:54 CEST 2008

madshi wrote:
> M?ns Rullg?rd schrieb:
>  > That depends. You have to give them $UINT_MAX, your
>  > soul, and your first-born son to see it.
>
> True.
>
>  > Wikipedia is not an authoritative source for information on
>  > *anything*, least of all format standards.
>
> Ok, so what is your definition of a "standard"?

The definition of the word standard was never under discussion.
Anyhow, for the record, I consider as a standard something for
which there exists a formal specification, approved by a widely
recognised standards organisation, be that the ISO, ITU, IETF,
or other body with similar standing.  No, ECMA doesn't count.
They're just sock puppets of Microsoft.

> Do you really want to claim that Blu-Ray is not a standard?

Yes.  Bluray is a format specification, not a standard.  There
is a distinction.  This is, however, not what I was originally
getting at.  Whatever it is, it specifies a number of additions
to standard MPEG-TS, indicated by the HDMV registration descriptor.

Without a registration descriptor present, those stream types all
have undefined meaning.

>  > Do you have a copy of this specification?
>
> Ehm... I have to decline to comment on this.
>
>  > > Users of my "eac3to" Blu-Ray and HD DVD handling tool
>  > > already did come to me with samples of such streams.
>  > Then tell them to go home. Or to the firing squad.
>
> I understand your point of view. I just happen to see things
> differently. If there's a TS file with a 0x80 track in it with the
> "HDMV" registration descriptor then it's very clear that this is
> a Blu-Ray style PCM track. I find it kind of stubborn to refuse
> to handle such a track just because a Blu-Ray track doesn't
> belong into a TS file in theory.

That's not what I said.  I said we should not attempt to handle
streams that cannot be identified according to any known
specification.  This means that when no registration descriptor
is present, only the standard stream types should be recognised.

> Yes, yes, I see that there are arguments for refusing to support
> non-standard stuff. But still I prefer to simply make things
> work instead of bickering about not following the standards
> to the last letter.
>
> We have different philosophies, obviously...

Yes, where I'm trying to bring some order, you inflict anarchy.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com