[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] ffmpeg.c refactoring

Ralf Terdic contact
Wed Jun 11 11:32:45 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 11 June 2008 10:57:05 Luca Abeni wrote:
> Did you measure this overhead? I did...
>From Java, the overhead is noticeable when comparing Runtime.exec() with the
JNI equivalent. We compiled ffmpeg to a JNI shared library before, so I, too,
know what I'm talking about.

> If the number of forked processes is too high, wait before serving a new
> request...
Why use a hacky solution instead of a clean one based on a thread-safe API?

> So, you want to decode thousands of videos simultaneously... I repeat: the
> problem here is not the fork() overhead.
I know what you mean, but that's no reason to deliberately add even more
overhead...

Thanks,
Ralf