[FFmpeg-devel] gprof and FFmpeg

Diego Biurrun diego
Thu Jun 19 11:36:38 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:27:27AM +0200, David LIU wrote:

> >Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> writes:
>
> >> I would like to profile certain portions of FFmpeg using gprof. But
> >> when I try to compiler FFmpeg using the --enable-gprof option, the
> >> compilation process dies of register exhaustion. Yeah, you know the
> >> error: "can't find a register in class 'GENERAL_REGS' while reloading
> >> 'asm'". This is with 4.1.3 and 4.3.0 on x86_32.
>
> >This is to be expected.  Maybe it will compile with --disable-mmx.
>
> >> Has anyone tried using gprof with FFmpeg lately? I try using oprofile
> >> but I rarely have much luck getting it set up.
>
> > Oprofile is generally much more reliable than gprof.  What kind of
> problems are you having?
>
> [David] This is what I will do later. And I agree Oprofile is better to use.

It's nice that you stopped top-posting, but your quoting still leaves a
lot to be desired.  For a start, you could skip mailing list footers and
stop prefixing your text with [David].  The latter is just a workaround
for your broken Outlook quoting mess.  Get rid of Outlook, that will
solve most of your problems in one fell swoop.

Diego