[FFmpeg-devel] ZMBV Improved Motion Estimation

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Fri May 9 14:07:59 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 01:28:30PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> > > 0th order entropy approximation
> >
> > It might be worth noting that it is only quite correct for 16x16 blocks
>
> Fixed for smaller ones.

Not for those on the border if the resolution is not divisible by the
block size, which is what I was referring to. Though I think it is now
a bit better to understand.

> > and might fail completely for blocks larger than that - just because
>
> smaller blocks seem better on average for the videos i have

Doesn't surprise me that much, 16x16 seems rather big esp. for generally
low-resolution videos. Though ZMBV may be more designed for videos with
large same-colour areas like a commandline, file manager or such.
Can the block size easily be changed for ZMBV or would that break with all
existing decoders?