[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Droping .ffm support

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Wed May 28 18:40:50 CEST 2008

Hi Michael,

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to propose to drop .ffm support and use .nut instead for
> ffserver.

Well, Im really not against it. However Im not sure if everybody really
understand .ffm features and what it was designed for.

.nut won't pass any options to "ffmpeg" feeder, and I don't think
cycling through a .nut file would be as easier as with .ffm (with
constant packet size).

FFserver supports time backbuffer.

Now of course this can be redesigned, and will probably be better,
though this would mean a major rework.

> ffm being buggy (dts),

Yes, though Im working on this extending it to transport pts and dts.

> inefficient (memcpy, litteral 64bit pts)

True.

> non extendible (breaks everytime a new field is added)

In some way, however I added AVOption transport feature (as a string)
and it works quite well.

Smartjog USA Inc.                                http://www.smartjog.com