[FFmpeg-devel] Once again: Multithreaded H.264 decoding with ffmpeg?

Dave Yeo daveryeo
Sat May 31 09:14:18 CEST 2008

On 05/30/08 01:54 pm, Loren Merritt wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2008, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>> Out of curiosity: Can somebody enlighten me about the relative benefits
>> of yasm vs. inline assembler?  There is no need to post at length, web
>> links would be great.
>
> No web links, since my reasons are due entirely to personal experience.
>
> * cleaner syntax
> * preprocessor directives allowed inside macros
> * %rep, %assign, %xdefine, %rotate, %ifidn
> * can mess with calling convention
> * works with any compiler on any x86 platform

No it doesn't. I'm running x86 (OS/2) and yasm doesn't support either of
the formats that GCC supports here. One of the formats, OMF ( nasm -f
obj) is used by pretty well every OS/2 compiler and I believe OpenWatcom
also uses it on Windows, DOS and netware (though I could be wrong). GCC
also supports a.out (nasm -f aout) which yasm doesn't.
For X264 I had to hack around to use nasm which almost worked (wrong
calling convention).

 > [...]

Dave