[FFmpeg-devel] donation for snow

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Nov 7 01:20:19 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 10:36:10AM -0800, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Lars T?uber <lars.taeuber at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Hi Michael.

> >> code lives or dies depending on developers pushing things forward or not,
> >> and iam surely sad that noone is working on snow. Especially as there are
> >> many possibilities and ideas of what and how it could be improved both
> >> quality and speed wise.
> >
> > The missing support in the development of snow was the reason I wanted donate some money, but i seems to be a wrong mean. I share your sadness.
>
> This is unsurprising.  The people good enough to be useful in
> development of Snow are also good enough that their time is worth
> quite a bit of money--enough that the only way you will get them to
> work on it is either a few tens of thousands of dollars at a minimum,
> or some sort of non-monetary motivation.

I can donate self made virtual pizzas

[...]
> > - codec available under open source and royalty free license (and as portable as possible)
>
> Truly royalty-free means patent-free.  As mentioned above, this won't happen.
>
> > - developers try to not infringe patents (to the best of the knowledge)
>
> I will probably outright refuse to work on any project that makes that
> as a rule.

i guess one can interpret "try" in many ways ...
There are people who care about a codec free of known patents, that is people
from companies who want to use the codec without having to pay royalities.
People who have some specific philosophical belive and others.
They can cross check code and spec against patents, also developers who
care a little about avoiding patents can try to find algorithms avoiding
patents.
There is nothing in that which would prevent you from trying to design
another snow "profile" that violates as many patents as possible.
Or just not ever read a mail with the word patent in it ...

if you interpreted anything i said as making it snow policy to
require devels to check their contributions against patents. Then you
simply misunderstood me, i did not mean this.

Besides, did you plan to contribute to snow in the absense of a "please avoid
patents in the foobar profile" policy?

Its not a either - or situation at all. Its just a "we lack developers
actually working on it" be that "it" my suggestion, or something else.
and be that wavelets, KLT, DCT, MP, fractals, ... or whatever

Many things microsoft did are stupid, but not doing something just because
microsoft did it is even more stupid. If everything ms did were stupid they
would be bankrupt already.