[FFmpeg-devel] donation for snow

Lars Täuber lars.taeuber
Fri Nov 7 19:09:24 CET 2008

Good evening Loren,

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:08:23 +0000 (UTC) Loren Merritt <lorenm at u.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Lars T_uber wrote:
>
> > - coder is able to make use of (more than) 2 threads/cores
> > --- encoding speed is irrelevant to me
>
> Aren't these contradictory? Or did you mean to say "multithreaded decoder"?

ok, ?irrelevant? is a bit exaggerated. I meant I don't care if the encoder can't encode in realtime. But it would be good to get it make use of all the cores my computer has to save energy. Because the cores are paid and could be used.
A multithreaded decoder isn't bad either.

> > - lossless mode (intra-frame-only mode) would be nice
>
> Why would you want lossless and lossy in the same codec? They have almost
> no overlap algorithm-wise.

This is because of simplicity. As I told earlier I want to have a codec to archive my private videos. There are some files that I want to keep in original quality my camera produced. I could stay with ffv1 but to have all the hundrets or thousand files of video coded with the same codec sounds simpler.

Please take all my point only as wishes.
And there came some other questions to my mind:

- which color spaces are supported in which depths?

Maybe some of my future cams record video not only in YV12?

Lars