[FFmpeg-devel] update data_offset field in format context

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Nov 7 20:29:28 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 09:07:23PM +0200, Yoav Steinberg wrote:

> Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 05:50:46PM +0200, Yoav Steinberg wrote:
> >> In my specific application (using libavformat) I'm interested in using
> >> the data_offset field to figure out how much of the file is used for
> >> data and how much is used for "headers".
> >
> > And oh, I just have to ask: what is "headers"? I find it hard to imagine
> > what the purpose of that should be - it seems more likely that you will
> > end up misleading your users to believe this has anything to do how with
> > how efficient the container is (it does not, also with that method it
> > will say "0" for almost all mov files).
> >

> The aim is to define general threshold to distinguish valid data from
> garbage within the file. With the intent of filtering out files that
> contain real media from files that just seem to contain media or have
> lots of corrupt packets in them. This is required in my system to try to
> keep corrupt data to a minimum and prevent user abuse. By using ff's
> demuxer's I can easily find relations between sizes of packets/streams
> and the total file size, which gives me a decent indication in many cases.
> I though of utilizing the data_offset to improve calculation results on
> my test set, which it has except for mov files (until I changed the code).
>
> >> "rating" system which isn't relevant to our discussion.
> >
> > IMO if what you are doing makes any sense is very relevant to whether we
> > should try to fix it for your use case.
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Reimar D?ffinger
>
> I gather the data_offset field was created to for formats that need it.
> Other formats (like mov) don't care about it, so there's no "correct"
> value that should be expected in such formats. It seems it would be a
> mistake to change the code only for the purpose of my calculations.
> It might however be worth adding a comment near the data_offset
> definition along the lines of the comment used for the index_entries
> field explaining when to expect this to contain something relevant.
>
> Let me know if my understanding is correct,
> Anyway thanks for clearing this up for me.

looking at avformat.h i suspect slightly that data_offset was intended
as a field just for av_seek_frame() and nt supposed to be read by the
user at all

a patch adding a corresponding comment would be welcome

There will always be a question for which you do not know the correct awnser.