[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-user] configure can't find existing x264 installationon Debian

Benjamin Larsson banan
Fri Nov 14 12:59:00 CET 2008

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
>
>> Hi Baptiste,

>>> I find easier to answer to the related commit.

>>> Basically because we have no encoder, however we could put samples in
>>> the test suite, it's in TODO AFAIK.
>>>
>> Or we could add a basic encoder... ;-)
>>

> I am quite strongly opposed to adding basic (i.e. crap) versions of
> anything, more so when a perfectly good external library exists and
> is supported.  If a basic version exists, users will fail to enable
> the proper support, and they'll get bad encoding results, ultimately
> tarnishing the reputation of FFmpeg.  Furthermore, a trivial H.264,
> if such a thing exists, will not exercise much of the decoder.
>
> I know you wrote a very basic H.264 encoder.  Don't take this personally.

I on the other hand think we should add basic versions of encoders (like
mpeg2 audio encoder). But they should be disabled by default for the
same reasons as M?ns.

MvH
Benjamin Larsson