[FFmpeg-devel] Fix ffmpeg -re behaviour

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Nov 23 13:16:50 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 11:41:39AM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Saturday 2008-11-22 22:36:29 +0100, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> > On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 07:17:00PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> [...]
> > > Check the patch, I also changed the name pts -> next, I think it's
> > > less prone to confusion since "pts" may be confused with the meaning
> > > of pts in ist->next_pts (which uses another time unit).
> >
> > so the patch contains 3 unrelated changes now ...
>
> Sorry for that.
>
> Patches:
>

> * fixrate-emu-pts.patch
>   Use ist->next_pts rather than use frame_nb * codec_time_base as the
>   timestamp for the next frame to print.
>   This assumption is not always true and only works for video codecs anyway.

I dont think next_pts is the correct variable to use, but then what exactly
where the use cases of rate_emu anyway?
next_pts is a guessed value that may have no relation to the next pts

> * rename-pts.patch
>   Rename the pts variable, which may be confused with the meaning
>   of pts in ist->next_pts (which uses another time unit).

makes no sense to me

> * remove-ist-frame
>   Remove the variable ist->frame, not anymore used.

ok

Asymptotically faster algorithms should always be preferred if you have
asymptotical amounts of data