[FFmpeg-devel] donation for snow

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Sun Nov 23 17:27:26 CET 2008

Hi Michael,

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
>>> but this is old and thus no way to revert without understanding the code ...
>> I'll try to see if I can understand enough of the code to revert that
>> change. Just to be sure: r4101 was an optimisation, right? So, if I
>> properly remove it the output of the encoder/decode should not change,
>> right? (Is "make test" enough for checking if my modification is ok?).
>
> yes
> also if you end giving up on r4101, then tell me so i add it to my todo

I hate to say this, but... I am giving up. I have a patch (see attach)
that compiles and does not crash, but badly breaks snow decoding. With
my current (mis)understanding of snow.c, I am not able to see why this
patch does not work (maybe there is just a small mistake, or maybe the
patch is completely wrong - this is why I am posting it: perhaps someone
can point out my error).
So, I have to better study the code (and the theory behind it), but this
will require much time (and I will not have much spare time in the next
weeks)... This is why I am giving up :(

				Luca