[FFmpeg-devel] UDP multicasts mixed up on receive due to wrong bind()

Joakim Plate elupus
Thu Oct 16 16:15:40 CEST 2008

Luca Abeni <lucabe72 <at> email.it> writes:

> Hi Laurent,
> > Ok, thanks for the information. So, I guess the real question now is:
> what happens on windows (or on other non-linux systems) if I perform
> a bind on a multicast address (instead of INADDR_ANY)?
> Does this break multicast support? Or is it just useless (but does
> not break anything)?
> In the first case, the patch cannot be applied. In the second case,
> the patch fixes an important usage case in linux and does not affect
> windows, so maybe it can be applied.
>
> 			Thanks,
> 				Luca

Why not just try to bind to the multicast address if that fails bind to any? I
suspect winsock filters incoming data based on the multicast groups the said
socket is said to have a membership in.

Joakim