[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Alternative way of generating dependencies

Måns Rullgård mans
Tue Oct 28 21:05:22 CET 2008

Ivo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While I was catching up with the ffmpeg-devel mailinglist yesterday, I
> stumbled upon a thread about suncc's dependency generation. As every
> compiler seems to act slightly different, I thought about a more generic
> way to generate dependencies and came up with the following solution (see
> attached patch). It's not meant for direct inclusion in SVN and perhaps
> needs some work to integrate nicely into the current build system, hence
> the [RFC] in the subject.
>
> It has been tested and works correctly with the following compilers and
> preprocessors:
>
> gcc -E		(GNU, versions 3.4.6 and 4.2.3)
> icc -E		(Intel, version 10.1 20080312)
> suncc -E	(Sun, version 5.9 Build27_2)
> cpp.ansi	(ACK 6.0pre3)
> pcc -E		(PCC CVS HEAD 20081028)
> cpp		(PCC CVS HEAD 20081028)
>
> What do you think?

It relies on the pre-processor generating #line directives, which AFAIK
is not a requirement.  If we anyway need to rely on non-standard properties,
we might as well use the simpler solution.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com