[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Print updated lib version numbers on commit logs

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Mon Sep 1 21:57:10 CEST 2008

On date Monday 2008-09-01 16:33:34 +0200, Aurelien Jacobs encoded:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 09:56:06 +0200
> Stefano Sabatini <stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it> wrote:
[...]
> > Having the updated library versions in the log would help in two ways:
> > 1) the user would spot immediately which are the changes which added
> >  functionality to the library
> > 2) the user would find immediately in the log the version number, no
> >  need to perform other steps
>
> Ever heard of svn annotate ?
> eg: you want to know which minimal version you need to be able to
> use AVChapter. Have a look at the line defining AVChapter in the
> annotate of the corresponding file:
> http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk/libavformat/avformat.h?view=annotate
> The line reads:
> 435 : 	aurel 	13240 	typedef struct AVChapter {
> Now r13240 seems interesting, so just click on it and you will see
> the diff of this revision, which introduce AVChapter and changes
> the version number.
> In some cases, when the line was changed since it was introduced,
> you may need to iterate several times with annotate on the
> preceding versions, but that would rarely be more than 2 or 3
> iterations.
> Overall, this is very fast and simple.
> I doubt that your proposition would make this any simpler...

Yes it would be simpler and faster, simple and fast as grepping the
log and reading it, no need to use ViewVC and/or svn annotate.

Another of the advantages of the feature would be to make immediately
evident to the log reader the revisions which added some feature
(otherwise she would have to read/understand every single commit log,
since she can't search for a specific term (add, implement?).

Anyway I'm attaching the key component script for the (eventual)
implementation of the pre-commit hook (no matter if it won't be used,
I had some fun writing it anyway :-)).

Usage example:
get-updated-version.pl patches/implement-libpp-version-00.patch
updated libpostproc version: 51.2.0

Currently it only supports patches which change just one library
version number, but may be easily extended to support multiple version
numbers updating.

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Friendly and Frenzy Meaningless Pitiful Elected God